Saturday, February 13, 2010

Running (Away From Carnival)

Carnival. A Roman Catholic festive season, which happens right before Lent (which begins on Ash Wednesday, and only ends either on Holy Thursday or on Holy Friday). Traditionally, people celebrate Carnival with circus-like parades and masquerades. You know, I enjoy the idea of  masquerades - so medieval! And one of the things I'd love to see is the Carnival of Venice. Those masks and costumes are simply wonderful!


Instead, I'm stuck here with Brazilian Carnival. I know, I know, I sound awfully like a cranky old lady... I'm just not a big fan of the whole thing. I bet it's a hell of a spectacle for foreigners, but when you get to see that year after year... I do like watching the samba schools parade on tv, it's gorgeous. And, on top of that, the entire country stops dead right where they are. Forget work, college, deadlines... those words disappear from our vocabulary when Carnival is on! So thanks to that, I didn't teach yesterday nor today (yup, I teach on Saturdays as well...); next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will be simply devoted to drinking on every corner in every goddamn town! Rio de Janeiro becomes this huge bacchanalia - a figure of speech, of course. 
But you know what? People always expect me to go out there, drink my ass off, hook up with strangers and be a part of block-parades - their excuse? I'm young, I should live it up! Wtf?... I like drinking, fine; but the idea of hooking up with pple I've never met before in block-parades (which means drunk mobs)... hmmm... not so much, no. Not to mention the horrible traffic jams, you can't go anywhere without stumbling  across a street parade. Hence, I ran off to the mountains, to the city I grew up in, and will be in hiding till it all comes back to normal.
Does that make me too much of an elderly?...

7 comments:

beanizer_05 said...

hmmm..NO!(answer to your last line)

be safe on those drinks:)
never mind of those people..it's your life..as long as you're happy and not hurting anyone, it's fine..we all have our standards of our own happiness:)

HAPPY V-DAY & HAPPY CHI NEW YEAR!

Rml said...

Thank you! Some pple are just incapable of understanding that, jeez...
Happy V-day and happy Chinese New Year too!

Galaxy6139 said...

hey, I agreed with "beanizer", you should live the life as you want and of course not hurting anyone...

I am also same to you, I don't want such rounded festivals and hook up with unfamiliar people ^-^ Believe me... I am young too ^-^

Rml said...

Hahahhahah, thanks for the support! Now, thank the gods Carnival around here is finally over...

Didz said...

I never been to any grand carnivals before. Thanks for this post, maybe I don't have to go to one anyway. Hehe. Better be safe than sorry. ;)

Rml said...

Hahahahahhahaha! Uh-oh, I'm probably scaring away the tourists now, hehe! Like I said, it's a great show for one who's never seen it before - but having to live it year after year... tiring, really...

Didz said...

I get what you mean. I'd probably get bored too when it happens annually. I'm the old-skool type, I'd prefer watching the marching bands. It turns me on. Hahaha!