Saturday, August 21, 2010

Rewinding: August, 2009

"He's gonna move out of the country."
Me: "Yes, I know."
"In, like, less than 2 months!"
"I'm well aware."
"And you'll stay here!"
"You do realize I was the one who told you that, right? Why are you repeating it all back to me now?"
"To try and talk some sense into your head!"
"It's not that stupid an idea, you know."
"No, it's brilliant. I, too, only start dating guys when they're about to move to the other side of the world."
"Bite me."
"You can't possibly think this is gonna work out, with you guys being half a globe apart."
I stared.
"Um, actually... once he leaves, it's over. We've already talked about it."
"Let me get this straight: he's gonna leave, start building a new life, meet new people, have new experiences... and you'll be left behind, leading the exact same life, working and looking at the exact same chair he used to sit on every morning, and sleeping in the exact same bed you guys are now sharing. That's healthy."
"You know, there are only so many times I can tell you to bite me. It gets old fast."
She shrugged.
"You'll be mopey when he leaves, that's all."
"Well, lucky me you'll still be here to lend me your shoulder and tell me 'I told you so'. Boy, am I looking forward to it."
***

Snarkiness aside, she did get me to wonder what the hell I was doing. What was the point?

***

I was already half asleep in his arms when I heard him:
"I was wondering... what do you think of this?"
Me: "'This' being...?"
"Us. What do you think we're doing?"
Good question.
"Well. The way I see it is: we're... going out. You're leaving in some weeks, so there couldn't possibly be any strings attached - never mind whether we'd want it or not."
"Granted."
"So, yeah, we're not exclusive, if that's what you're asking. Nothing's been said about it, so I regard it as a personal choice. I, personally, choose not to see other people - but that's me. What you do... that's completely up to you."
He pulled me closer.
"Good. Cause I chose that too. As if I could even look at anyone else with you around. Beach tomorrow?"
"Yep."
We went back to sleep.

That was the point.

1 comments:

Ricademus said...

If the "me" is thee, of course he could choose nothing else.

More to follow! =)